[nabs-l] Opinions on a TVI Issue

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 04:03:11 UTC 2014

Here is what I have to add.

I think an important element to consider in this is the nature of the
problem.  When you need help, is it for the math aspect of the work,
or the braille that is being used?  If it is the braille, or a
question on how to format the math, then the TVI would be the one to
ask.  However, if it is an issue with the math itself, then you should
ask the teacher for assistance.  If the issues are really math
related, then out of fairness you may have to wait for the teacher to
finish assisting another student before they can get to you.  However,
if it is a braille issue, this is what should happen, and I'm basing
this off of how things worked with my aid in middle and high school
math.

"Mrs. So-and-So, I need a little help."
"Hold on, (insert kid's name here), I'll be back."  (to me) "Okay,
what's the problem?"

She would help me fix what was wrong, then return to the other kid she
was helping until I needed help again.  The other students realized
that she was there and had the skill to help them, but when I needed
help her first priority was me because she was my aid and braillist.
No one ever had a problem with her coming over to help me for a few
seconds and coming back to them when she and I were done, because they
understood that was her first job.  I also utilized the teacher's help
when that was applicable, and for me in math that was the case more
often than not.

Kaiti