[nabs-l] public versus private universities

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 02:42:06 UTC 2014

Greetings,

I'm a junior in high school, and as such, I'm beginning to look
for a college. The other day, a blind friend and I were talking
about which colleges we were checking out, and I mentioned
Loyola, which is a private Catholic university in New Orleans. My
friend, whose mother is a professor at Tulane, another private
New Orleans school, said that it was very difficult for blind
people to attend private colleges because they weren't as good as
protecting textbooks and other necessary materials. He said in
general that private universities' disability services weren't as
great as those of public universities. I know this is true for
post-secondary public schools--they're more able to provide
braille and technology than are private schools--so I was
wondering if it was the same with colleges. Also, is there a list
that ranks colleges' disability support? I know that whenever we
visit a college, we visit the DS office, but I also know that
those people are often trying to sell their school. So I was
wondering if there was any concrete resource I could use for this
information. Any info or comments would be super helpful and
appreciated!

Yours sincerely,
Sophie Trist