[nabs-l] public versus private universities

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 16 03:19:39 UTC 2014

Sophie,
No there Is no resource to rank support services. I think you should visit
schools you are interested like anyone else would. Visit the disability
office and see what they offer. Sometimes if you voice a need, they might be
able to do it, even if they have not before.

It is generally true that private schools have smaller disability service,
ds, offices. They have less staff, but also they have less students to
serve.
They may be less aware of disabled student needs but that's where advocacy
comes in.

Just go and visit the schools you want; loyola and tulane are great schools.
I wouldn't prejudge  services too much. Don't be discourage what one
professor said.

I went to  a private catholic school, btw. I transferred out of george mason
university, GMU. GMU is public.
I liked the private school more because of smaller classes, small campus,
upholding my religious values, no not  catholic but do agree with some
principles they have, the atmosphere, and religious activities.
Oh, and the quality was excellent of instruction since you get professors,
not grad students teaching your classes. Universities will have grad
students teach some classes.

Good luck with your decision.
Ashley