[nabs-l] public versus private universities

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 04:09:53 UTC 2014

Hi Sophie,

I would recommend judging colleges based on factors like how good the
curriculum is and how friendly people are at the school, and to put
disability services lower on your list of criteria for judging
schools. Some schools will have more disability resources than others,
but sometimes, a school with less resources may be more open-minded
and flexible when working with you as an individual student, while
some schools with big disability offices may be more rigid about how
they treat blind students and less willing to work with you as an
individual. I attended a large public university with a well-staffed
disability office, and while this had its advantages, I also found
that the staff at the disability office wanted to do everything a
certain way, were somewhat custodial, and gave me little opportunity
to negotiate with individual professors. I have talked with blind
students who attended schools with no disability office at all or just
a small one, and who had excellent experiences arranging their own
accommodations, using readers and publicly available services like
BookShare, Learning Ally etc. They felt more in control of their
accommodations and, as a bonus, got really accustomed to advocating
for themselves early on, which is important for employment. It's a
little like how sometimes, the teachers who have never had a blind
student in their class before are better to work with than the ones
who have had someone blind in the past, because the former teachers
will listen to how you want them to do things, while sometimes the
latter will tend to compare you with other blind students or assume
you have the same preferences and limitations that they had.
So I would encourage you to pick a school that's the best fit for your
career goals, and worry about the disability accommodation stuff
later. No matter where you go, there are resources that you will be
able to use to get access to your materials.

Best,
Arielle