[nabs-l] public versus private universities

Ryan Silveira ryan.l.silveira at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 14:02:47 UTC 2014

Hi Sophie,

I agree with everything that has been said.  Choose your college based
on the corriculum and the people that you meet during your visits.
While the disability resources should be a priority, it should not be
your first.  In my experience, I have actually found disability
resources to be more accomidating at a private school than a public
school.  This is not at all a blanket statement; it is just based on
my own experience.  I started out at Ithaca College, a fairly
well-known private college in upstate New York.  I chose it for its
music program, not for its disability services.  The disability office
was fairly small, but they were more than willing to work with me to
provide the accomidations I needed.  Also, the school of music
coordinated with disability services very well.  They assigned a grad
student to prepare any hand-outs necessary for class, inputting the
music into the computer.  He would then e-mail it over to the
disability services office where my case manager would then emboss it
for me.  When I transferred to a public university, the disability
services office was much larger and had many more "resources", but I
found that they were also very controling.  They kept a close eye on
me, requiring that I meet with my disability services mentor once a
week just to check how everything was going.  Also, rather than me
discussing accomidations with them, they pretty much told me exactly
what my accomidations would be and I had no say in the matter.  If I
didn't like what they wanted to do for me, I had to just deal with it.

In essence, based on my experiences, I found that the smaller
disability office with less resources was much more accomidating than
the larger one with more resources.  The larger one seemed to me more
like a factory, churning out services for students.  I seemed to be
nothing more than a case number to them, whereas with the smaller
office, I was treated as a person and asked what I wanted.  My
strongest point of advice is that which everyone else has said: choose
the college based on the college, not based on their disability
services.  On the flip side, don't choose a college where you know
you'll have to fight for everything because that will just ruin the
whole college experience.  If you have to advocate some, but you feel
you can live with it and you love the college, then go with it.

Sorry for the rambling novel.  Hope this helps.

Ryan

--
Ryan L. Silveira