[nabs-l] NFB and canes and travel

Patrick Bennet patrick.bennet807 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 20:49:37 UTC 2014

Hey everyone,

I just joined the list. I have some questions about cane travel and I
hope you might be able to help me with this. Before I ask, I should
probably explain.

For years I received instruction in O&M through my school district. I
was given a folding cane with a standard rolling tip, which seems to
be pretty commonly ordered by most agencies and districts. I think
they come from a place in Canada .... but don't quote me on that. That
is what I've always been used to. They seem decent enough.

But, I've read some online literature from the NFB about cane travel,
including structured discovery (as opposed to routes) and a different
kind of cane you use that is lighter an uses a metal tip. I've also
heard about something called a rainshine tip. Maybe they are the same
things.

Anyway, I've always been taught to hold the cane with the palm of the
hand over it, with the index finger pointing down the flat side. This
allows the cane with a roller tip to stay on the ground, also called
constant contact. Is this not correct? From what I've read on the NFB
website, your canes have metal tips, which would seem harder to slide
over rough or cracked areas but would give more feedback. I also read
somewhere that the grip is supposed to be different. In short, I'm
wondering what the differences and advantages are. If so, I'd like to
learn more. I've already read that they are lighter. Do you use them
or hold them differently with another grip? Can NFB canes take roller
tips and use constant contact, and if not, why? Is there really that
much of an advantage to a cane that doesn't fold? I'm curious to learn
about the differences, because I've never heard about them otherwise.

Thanks,
Pat