[nabs-l] NFB and canes and travel

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 05:14:11 UTC 2014

Pat,

I would first like to welcome you to these lists and to our Federation. It
is good to hear that you are investigating all your options and taking full
advantage of the network of support and resources which this organization
provides.

While I have my own experiences to draw from, I find questions like these
slightly hard to answer. I say this because I believe travel is very much a
matter of personal preference. To me, there is no "correct" cane to use and
no single appropriate way to use it. What works for me may not work for you,
and what works for you may not work for another blind person, and so on.
Contrary to what some might have you believe, even the NFB does not
officially endorse one particular method of travel, though our members might
have their own strong opinions on the subject. Our concern, I believe, is
that blind people have the confidence and the skills needed to travel where
we want to go, however we choose to get there.

With this said, let me tell you what I have done and currently do in the
hope that this will add more information to the advice you have already
received. For a long time I used an Ambutech folding cane with a pencil tip.
While this provided relatively good information, it was hard for me to tap
it, so I primarily used constant contact. When I went to an NFB-sponsored
youth program for the first time, I had to give up my folding cane and use a
rigid NFB cane with a metal tip during my time there. I came home liking the
rigid cane for its lightness and ease of use. I was finally able to tap with
ease, which provided me with the auditory information the old Ambutech
lacked. However, I found the straight cane sometimes cumbersome, especially
in public places and in cars. There were many times when people would
approach me and inform me that my cane was sticking out in the aisle at a
concert hall/theater or in the middle of a walkway in a restaurant. The
travel instructors at the Louisiana Center for the Blind said this was
because I was not putting the cane down correctly, but despite my many
attempts I was never able to get the darned thing out of the way. Perhaps
this was my fault, not the cane's. I then used an NFB folding cane for a few
months, but it soon broke and I was forced to go back to my straight cane.
Now I use and love another Ambutech folding cane. It is one of their
Ultra-Light models with an NFB-style metal tip. This cane is very durable
and truly lives up to the ultra-light name. I was able to keep the metal tip
I like and get much of the advantages I found in my NFB cane while still
enjoying the convenience of its ability to fold. I would strongly encourage
you to look into this cane as you are searching for the right one for you.

As for cane technique, I believe there is no law which forces me to use one
technique alone. I therefore use a variety of techniques at different times
and in different situations. In most situations I find myself using the
tap-slide (sometimes referred to as touch-drag) technique to which Kirt
referred in his message. However, I sometimes switch to constant contact or
2-point-touch when I am approaching a certain surface, e.g. steps or
escalators. I also use a technique called "pencil grip" whenever I am in a
crowded or tight space. This involves sliding my hand down to about the
middle of the shaft and sweeping with a narrower arc than I would in the
usual, open-palm method. This technique helps me get through crowds while
avoiding tripping anyone. When I am using sighted guide, I also often switch
my cane to pencil grip to avoid drifting my cane out and hitting either the
guide or another passerby. As you can see, then, there are many cane
techniques you can use and many situations in which to use all of them. I
would advise you to become familiar with all these methods and choose which
works best for you at any given time.

I hope these suggestions and experiences help you and I apologize for the
lengthy message. As you investigate which cane and technique(s) works best
for you, I would like to leave you with this thought: take what you like and
leave the rest. You will find that the NFB has many members with many
beliefs about travel and about blindness in general. There will be some who
will try to persuade you that their way is the only way to go. Don't let
that dissuade you from doing your own exploration. Only you know what is
best for you. With this in mind, I leave you to consider my thoughts and
those of others, but decide for yourself. Good luck in this endeavor.

Chris Nusbaum