[nabs-l] my introduction

sami osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 23 00:15:04 UTC 2014

Hello everybody.

I just registered to this list a few hours ago and this is my
first post here so let me introduce myself so you guys can know
me better.
My name is Sami Osborne.  Just to clarify: Sami is spelled S, A,
M, I.  I'm just clarifying that because I know that unless you
edit the pronunciation, those screen readers always pronounce my
name wrong...
I am 16, and I am totally blind since birth.
I live in the state of New York, in a town called Nyack.  It is
directly to the north of New York City, and it's nice.  I've been
living there as long as I can remember.
I don't want to brag, but I speak 3 languages! I speak english of
course, and also French and Spanish.  I know French because my
mother was born in France and we go there every summer.  Not my
dad, though, he's American.  But he does know French because he
studied it in school.  That is of course handy because then he
can talk to my family in France, since the majority of they don't
speak English.
I know spanish because I used to study it for school, for, you're
not going to believe this, 9 and a half years! I don't study it
anymore because last year I took an exam that would determine if
I would continue with spanish or if I was finished, and I passed
it.
When I grow up, I would either like to be a language interpreter
or a French or Spanish teacher at a school.  I actually am
practicing those jobs at school, because I now have 2 jobs
involving languages.  One of them is that I help the spanish
teacher translate documents such as the school's news-letter into
Spanish for hispanic parents who don't speak English.  My other
job is that I teach one of my other teachers French and she
teaches me how to be a good teacher.
I attend a school for the blind in New York City, which is about
45 minutes away from my house.  The name of the school is the New
York Institute for Special Education.  I have been attending that
school since I was 12 and am enjoying it very much.
During my free time, I like to listen to the radio, go swimming,
biking, going on the computer, and playing the piano.
I go to a music school for the blind in Manhatan every Saturday
for my piano lessons.  I also enjoy that school alot, and I think
that my teacher is very nicedd
I am also a big tech guy...  I own numerous types of technology
at home, including a Windows computer with Jaws, a BrailleNote,
(which I am using right now to right this post), a Victor Reader
Stream, and the new Ipad Air, which I got last Christmas.
By the way,   I hope you all enjoyed reading my introduction, and
am excited to be part of this list.
I hope discussing on this list will be fun and interesting.
Sincerely,

Sami.