[nabs-l] Blindness and Race

Ryan Silveira ryan.l.silveira at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 14:37:38 UTC 2014

This is a great story, Arielle.  Like you, I used to think that blind
people are "less" racist than sighted people.  I don't necessarily
think this is true.  I think that blind people may be less apt to
understand why people are judged by their skin color.  I think the
racism that blind people develop is more based on a cultural prejudice
than one solely based on skin color.  For example, a lot of black
people have a certain way of speaking.  That accent and speech pattern
is due to their cultural and educational background, not to their skin
color.  A blind person can often tell when a person is black and
develop a prejudice, but again, that is a cultural prejudice, not one
based on skin color.  I remember when I first learned about the races
in the first grade, I could not for the life of me understand why
people judged others based on their skin color.  I still have a hard
time grasping that fact.  I think we, as a society, pay too much
attention to what is on the outside and not enough attention to what
is inside of a person--what makes you Arielle or me Ryan.  I think
that, because we cannot see skin color, we are more apt to judge a
person based on their personality which is, in a way, somewhat less
judgemental than someone who simply looks at a person and judges them
by their skin color.  That is not to say that we don't have our
prejudices, but we are somewhat less judgemental because we can't see
skin color or other physical traits.  Thanks for sharing your story;
it makes for a great discussion.

Ryan

--
Ryan L. Silveira