[nabs-l] Frustrating High School Issue...

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 04:20:35 UTC 2014

Hi JJ,

Congrats on starting high school soon!

While Braille signage does make getting around more convenient, most
school buildings I have seen do not have consistent Braille signs. I
am not sure if Braille signage is even required by the ADA. Though I'd
encourage you to keep pushing the school for Braille, please
understand that there are many other ways for you to find your
classrooms independently without it. You can learn whichpod is which
based on where it is relative to other landmarks on campus. For
example, perhaps as you walk in to campus from the parking lot, one
pod is on your left while the other is straight ahead or on your
right. These are things that your O&M teacher can help you identify.
Inside the building, you can learn where your classrooms are by
counting doors and by learning which landmarks are near your classes.
There might be a restroom, drinking fountain or stairway close to your
classroom that you can use as a landmark. I have gotten around in many
buildings without Braille signs, including my current office building
and the building I teach in. In fact, you might be surprised to learn
that the NFB national center has few, if any, Braille signs! Many
things at the national center are Brailled, but not the room doors. I
don't completely agree with their choice not to put up Braille signs,
but I suppose that the blind employees at the National Center for the
Blind don't feel that Braille signage is necessary for them to
navigate. In my experience, after a while I do memorize my routes well
enough that I don't need to check the Braille sign even if there is
one. In the beginning, when you are learning campus, your teachers and
classmates can help you identify the landmarks on your path of travel.
You and your TVI  could work together to make temporary Braille signs
on paper or stickers for just the classrooms you use most. This is a
simple solution that would  not involve getting the school to
cooperate. On the downside, the temporary signs may not last too long
if students vandalize them.

Regarding your second issue, the principal is not allowed to put you
in a "challenge" classroom without your parents' permission. These
kinds of arrangements must be made in writing at IEP meetings and
agreed to by a majority of people on your IEP team, including your
parents. The principal might not understand this. If you don't yet
attend your annual IEP meetings, I would suggest you ask to start
doing so and ask for Braille copies of your IEP so you have a record
of what your educational plan is and can voice any concerns. I am not
sure why the principal feels a challenge room would help you, but it
does not sound like something that your parents would agree to.

Best,
Arielle