[nabs-l] Nabs-List guidelines (please read)

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 00:19:34 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I am not the list moderator, but was a long time ago, and I don't
think much has changed. So I'll take a stab at answering this. Mary or
Dave, feel free to chime in if anything I say is no longer the case.

Generally if someone violates the list rules, that person will receive
a warning or, if it is several people doing it, there will be a
general reminder from the list moderator to follow the guidelines. If
someone is being very disruptive (e.g. using profanity, making
personal attacks against other list members or posting spam to the
list) that person may be placed on moderated status, which means their
messages will go to David Andrews who must approve them before they
get posted to the list. Moderation is usually temporary and I know
Dave does not like doing it much because it creates a great deal more
work for him.
I think David is the only one who has the authority to ban someone
from the list permanently. I have seen him do it but it is a rare
event.

I think that generally the NABS list is pretty loose with regard to
rules. The main prohibition is against making personal attacks or
posting inflammatory messages. The guidelines about staying on-topic
and avoiding one-line messages are in place so the list doesn't become
so high-traffic that people get annoyed and leave.

Best,
Arielle