[nabs-l] Feeling Inadequate After National Convention?

Jedi Moerke loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon Jul 14 11:52:00 UTC 2014

Elizabeth,

I hear what you're saying aboutNFB leaders and their propensity to have used college as a jumping point for success. I think it's important to consider the experience of blind people in general society. For generations, the only way for a blind person to be successful at all was  to obtain a degree that gets us  into jobs that society feels we can do. Besides that, the possibilities were pretty grim. I believe we still have this issue today. I believe that people with other types of disabilities face a similar issue. Either go to college or work in sub minimal wage sheltered workshops. It may not really be that severe, but it feels as though it is. I think the better approach is to start working on Ways to open up possibilities for blind people and blind people with other disabilities rather than letting someone else's success make us  feel inadequate.

I want to talk about our new tagline for moment. Live the life you want. This message is a bite sized version of the entire thought. I have not yet memorized it and cannot  word it exactly, but the bottom line is that blindness does not have to be the characteristic that defines you or your future.  I believe that this thought process can be applied to other types of disabilities. I think many members would agree.

So Elizabeth, let me ask you a question. What do you want? Keep in mind that what you say you want may  not actually be what you want. Generally speaking, people have a habit of not getting to the heart of what they want. Instead, we tend to focus more on the way in which we think we will obtain what we want. So really stop and think about it for a moment. And, at the end of your reflection, you still aren't  sure what it is that you want, join the rest of us. We are right there with you. I highly doubt our leadership meant to do this, but they are really asking us to consider a question that experts in  metaphysics have been asking the entire population for a long time. The challenge is that most people think more about what stops them from moving forward as opposed to figuring out what course they want to set in the first place. Those who are successful and feel they have what they want are those who have spent some time plotting the course and coming up with innovative ways to get from the starting point to the finishing point. Keep in mind that these individuals have found  detours along their path that sometimes cause with temporary setbacks. I believe  that what marks us ass as successful is our ability to think  creatively for solutions that get us back on course and passed the setbacks.

When I was younger, I wanted to be either a law enforcement officer or a doctor. I even thought about becoming an Olympic gymnast. Everyone kept telling me that I could not do these things because I am blind. I figured out there must be something wrong with society to have so many possibilities discouraged for me based on blindness. So, I thought that the best way to change perceptions of what blind people can do is to start with blind people ourselves. So, I thought to be a mobility instructor. Naturally, I was told I could not do this either. Then, I read an article written by Fred Schroeder. I read about the Louisiana Tech program and decided to go there. I am now a mobility instructor who changes perceptions of blind people about what we can accomplish as a group and as individuals. Now that I spend some time thinking about it, I realize that that is actually what I have always wanted. Whether it's being a gymnast, a doctor, or a police officer, Michael has always been to do something innovative and interesting that changes the perceptions of blind people and society about what we can do. I guess that being a mobility instructor was an interesting detour that had the bonus effect of empowering other people besides myself at the most basic level. I'm not finished yet. While teaching travel is interesting and empowering for me and the people I teach, I recognize that I have the potential to try some other avenues for empowerment as well. I have plans to get a doctorate degree so that I can teach incoming instructors, run an agency, do some research on blindness, or anyone of those things and things I have not even dreamed of yet. I have challenges like everybody else. They may not be represented by some form of disability, but they definitely create frustrating setbacks. The speeches I heard at convention have not left me feeling inadequate. Quite the opposite. If anything, I feel like I'm being encouraged to strive and to push a little harder to get serious about deciding what I want and plotting a course to get there.

Respectfully,
Jedi

Sent from my iPhone