[nabs-l] The Importance Of Independent Travel

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 04:38:19 UTC 2014

Hi Roanna and all,

In thinking about independent travel, I would start by asking what may
seem like an obvious question: Do sighted people have the right to
travel independently where they want to go when they want to go there?
If the answer to that is yes, then it shouldn't be any different for
blind people. Unfortunately, sometimes well-meaning people in our
lives like parents or teachers seem to think that independent travel
is scary, dangerous or less important for us than it is for them and
other sighted people they know. This is not true, but we can start to
believe that because that's what the people around us believe. That
was my own experience for many years. I feared going places by myself
and crossing streets, not for any real reason, but just because
sighted people put their own fears upon me. However, I overcame this
by moving out on my own, and later by attending LCB. I think you would
be an excellent candidate for an NFB training center. I am glad you
are getting mobility instruction now, but I think you really need to
be living away from your parents before you will have the chance to
grow and develop your skills. An NFB center will give you 6-9 months
of rent-free housing away from your family with instructors who can
help you gain confidence. Eventually you will likely realize that you
are fully capable of functioning as an independent, self-sufficient
adult, and the only thing holding you back is other people's
misunderstandings of blindness.

Best,
Arielle