[nabs-l] voting

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:26:28 UTC 2014

Sophie,

Thanks to the Help America Vote Act, since 2006 each polling place in
America is legally required to have at least one machine that a blind person
can use to cast an independent and private ballot. There are several
different machines, but most I have seen are some variation of a touch
screen. You plug in headphones and the machine gives you instructions in
synthesized speech on the specifics of how it functions. Warning: some
precincts will not have the accessible machine set up and will not want to
deal with setting it up. I have had a whole range of experiences, from
walking in and voting at an accessible machine with no problem to having
workers trying really hard to convince me that I should just let somebody
fill out a ballot for me because the accessible machine is not set up/too
slow and confusing/not worth the trouble etc. However, it is your right. It
is worth noting also that very often the accessible machine is the same
machine that everybody else uses, just functioning a bit differently (think
iPhone with Voiceover on vs. Voiceover off). As a vast generalization, you
will have better luck with accessible voting in bigger cities and towns than
in rural areas. In many rural areas paper ballots are still the norm and the
accessible machine is demanded infrequently. In most urban areas they have
moved to electronic voting for all, which makes it easier. Again, huge
generalization, but worth noting. Finally, the NFB usually has a hotline
number that blind folks can call on election day if we are having trouble
exercising our right to an independent and secret ballot.

Hope this is useful.

Take care,

Sean