[nabs-l] Networking Business That All of Us Can Do!No Matter Our Disability!

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 21:56:58 UTC 2014

Good afternoon,

It seems that perhaps there may have been a bit of confusion about my last
message on this topic. Let me clarify, and then let's move on.

Talking about business and entrepreneurship are not problems. Talking about
technology is not a problem. Talking about any number of blindness-related
issues is just fine. Anybody who has been on this list for any period of
time surely knows that a very wide range of topics are discussed here. That
is great. What is a problem, and will not be tolerated on list, is
advertising one's own personal business that is not related to providing a
product or service of particular interest to blind students or the blind in
general. If people don't see how that is different than posting job
opportunities in the blindness field or where companies have specific
initiatives to hire blind students, email me off list and I'll do my best to
explain. Likewise, if anybody has a problem with this prohibition you know
my email address and I'd be glad to sort it out with you off line.

Peter, I asked you off list to stop. I asked you on list to stop. If you
persist in spamming the list with your unbelievably over the top statements
about how this networking opportunity is going to obliterate unemployment
among the blind and render university education unnecessary I'm going to
have David Andrews remove you. Knock it off.

This list can be an incredibly valuable resource for all of us. But when we
have personal contact requests, shoutouts and other spam, we drive potential
contributors and beneficiaries alike off the list. I don't want that, and
don't think any of us do. If you want somebody to contact you off list,
email them directly. We don't all need to know. And when you send messages
to the list, just be mindful of their relevance. People connect and make
friends on list. That is awesome. But just ask yourself when you send a
message if this is something that more than one person will be interested
in. If not, please just send the message to that one interested person.

I'm not trying to be harsh or restrict the flow of conversation and
information sharing. I just want to maintain this list as a valuable place
where blind students can ask questions, find answers and engage in
discussion about blindness and related issues.

Thanks for reading and keeping this in mind.

Take care,

Sean

Sean Whalen
President, National Association of Blind Students.