[nabs-l] Feeling kind of left out

Gerardo Corripio gera1027 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 23:47:42 UTC 2014

  HI guys
As I said in my intro, I like the idea of helping out other blind people
in bettering their quality of life, thus I willingly in December,
accepted the proposal of a "friend" (note the quotes; you'll see whhy in
a bit), of going to a meeting in which forming a blindness association
would be discussed; from the start, these guys had very ambitious
projects (bringing in specialized blindness psychologists to  help in
rehabilitation for instance) when I thought while the meeting
progressed, isn't the goal of any blindness association, work with what
one already has? I thought if I'm a psychologist, and blind, what better
deal! So I gave an improvised speech of why I'd be a good candidate to
fulfill the job of Psychologist, to which they said "yes" and I began
getting excited; at last I'd have something productive to do! Also an
alternative I gave in the meantime was to give English to the members,
thus Yes I wouldn't get paid at the start, but nevertheless at least to
fulfill a lifelong dream of helping out the blind psychologically and
maybe culturally speaking!
OK so the weeks past by; I began looking for info that could possibly be
of interest because it was or being a Psychologist or teaching english;
I asked and asked because I wanted to know what i'd do, but they never
gave an answer; now that I think about it, they made me feel like if I
were a poor blind guy, and the Association wanted to teach me from the
start things I already knew! They wanted to mold me to their ways,
especially in wanting me to help standing around in the downtown plaza
or square, and sell stuffed apples? I spoke out, and said if you guys
want to have a blindness Association and promote stereotypes, well
that's not my way of thinking; they'd be able to do activities more at
my level like maybe giving talks and others, right? So the weeks past
on, I kept on bugging, on OK while I wait for a response, what can I
help out with? Since I'm good with Twitter, I offered my help in
managing the Associaion'Associatino'Association's Twitter feed, they
said no; until they got tired of not wanting to mold to their style, and
I got kicked out, and unfortunately or fortunately, the association
leaders, are going around telling everyone what a bad guy I am etc etc.
Have you guys in your working of maybe volunteer, come across these
people, that even though you have blindness skills in check, they make
you feel kind of left out, or inferior? What a bad feeling!

--
Enviado desde mi lap
RompiendoBarreras espacio de psicología/Superación Personal Sábados 10PM México http://radiogeneral.com ¡los esperamos!