[nabs-l] Public Speaking

Shickeytha Chandler shickeytha at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 21:06:25 UTC 2014

Happy Friday All,

I am wondering if some of you would be willing to share tips and
suggestions for effective public speaking as a blind person. One of my
classes in Graduate School this coming semester involves doing several
speeches. In my undergrad work, I had to do a few, but let it suffice
to say that my public speaking skills were less than stellar. I think
part of it is because of not feeling confident because I can't just
look down and read from my notes (or a teleprompter, lol) like a
sighted person could. My Braille skills are lacking also. I only read
uncontracted Braille slowly. I have had a few suggestions that I might
try, but I want to get as many ideas as possible. My VR counselor told
me about another client who uses a Victor Reader to record speeches in
advance and then has headphones playing while he is speaking, and he
can pause the player as needed. Additionally, I took a PowerPoint
course from the Hadley School last year, and the blind instructor told
me that she uses Blue Tooth headphones to listen to her notes as she
presents. I would love to hear from any of you who have strong public
speaking skills and experience to learn your ideas that might be
helpful to me. Thanks in advance!

Shickeytha