[nabs-l] Public Speaking

blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 21:23:30 UTC 2014

Hi,
I was in FFA in my high school and went to a state public speaking competition. My advisor always told me several things to start with. First comes posture. Stand comfortably, although do not slouch. Keep your head up and try, although it may sound strange, to keep I contact with your audience. I accomplish this, as a person with only light perception, by constantly looking in different directions. I will focus on a particular side of the room at one point, then will turn my head slightly as my speech progresses. Next Is your voice. The reason I say to keep your head up is so that your voice will project properly out to your audience. If you must look at notecards, which can be done, but I prefer to memorize what I am going to say, you can definitely use an earbud or something similar to accomplish this task if your braille skillsare not what you think they should be. Speak clearly, but do not speak too loudly. This was my downfall at the competition. I got nervous and spoke too loudly. Although I delivered a good speech, the audience was alarmed at the volume of my speech. The next thing I will say maybe a little controversial. This involves hand gestures. I worked with a sighted person for hours on this, as I did not know what was natural and what was not. The goal is to use hand gestures to emphasize points in your speech, while making them natural and not too jerky. This can be difficult, which is why I recommend practicing a speech in front of someone who is sided who would be able to give you pointers. Finally, movement. I like to move when I speak, but, when I do, I move with purpose. I do not aimlessly walk around the space while talking.  each movement should have a purpose, either to engage with another part of your audience, or to emphasize the point. I was always told never to step backwards deliberately, but this is mainly for a competition. The last thing I will say is this. Have fun. Public speaking is great, and if you can relax, you can really get a good point across and enjoy doing it.
I hope that helps,
Aleeha

Sent from my iPhone