[nabs-l] Individualism and Following a Leader

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 20:41:45 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I generally agree with the statements made so far. Obviously people
join organizations because there are clear benefits both for the
individuals in the group and the group itself. When one becomes a
member of an organization, that organization becomes another identity
the person has. Ideally the new identity shouldn't conflict with one's
other identities.
I do have some comments that are more about leadership vs.
follower-ship, if we want to call it that. Based on my experiences
with NABS leadership, my philosophy is I think a little different than
what's typically discussed in the NFB. I don't think an organization
should "follow" its leader, at least not blindly follow or blindly
trust. Instead, I think a leader is a person who has chosen to serve
the organization and carry out the organization's wishes. In this
role, the organization chooses its leader and then tells the leader
what should be done. In that way, a leader is "following" the
organization in that he or she endeavors to carry out the activities
that the organization identifies as important. Of course, leaders
should have special experience and skills that make them ideally
suited to carry out the organization's vision. And leaders should have
ideas and visions of their own for the organization. But the
organization's members have the power to accept or reject the leader's
new ideas.
So in the case of NABS or an NFB affiliate (or NFB national), I think
the president's primary responsibility is to carry out the
organization's wishes. Doing so requires active engagement with the
membership and the humility to accept opinions with which the
president might disagree. The board members serve as elected
representatives of the membership who tell the president what to do
when the entire membership is not able to meet (i.e. between
conventions). When I was NABS president, I had ideas about how things
should be done. Some were good ideas and others were flawed. The most
growth and change occurred when board members pointed out flaws in my
ideas and especially when they came up with better ones. I think it
benefits an organization tremendously when members, or board members,
question and challenge the president and build on the president's
work. I don't think NABS would have gone very far during my term if my
board had blindly trusted me without questioning things I proposed or
contributing their own proposals. Perhaps this is the academic in me,
but I would suggest that if you are on any kind of board or committee,
listen to what the chairperson says and try to think of problems with
their ideas or ways to make the good ideas even better. There is a way
to do this that still comes out of respect and loyalty to the
president and support for the organization as a whole. I cannot and
should not take much credit for the growth NABS saw when I was
president. The only thing I can take credit for is that I tried to
create a board culture where all opinions and disagreements were
appreciated. From my perspective, there was a nice bonus to that,
which was that board members felt empowered and respected so they were
willing to really work hard and follow through. A micromanaging
president risks alienating the board and, thus, getting stuck with all
the work.

Arielle