[nabs-l] apartment resources

Littlefield, Tyler tyler at tysdomain.com
Sun Jun 22 21:29:15 UTC 2014

Hello all:
I'm looking to get into an apartment for next semester. I found a studio
for $1900 (which is about as cheap as they get without being in a pretty
bad area). It turns out it ends up to be around $3200 extra than I'd pay
for staying in a dorm, which is nice but it affords me a lot more room.
Here are the thoughts; perhaps someone has some thoughts.
I'm trying to avoid the dorm for a few reasons:
1) Last two roomates were pretty rough. Spring semester my roommate (who
was the RA and supposedly more responsible) would frequently drop food
on the ground and let O'Mally grab it. He should have the freedom to
move around the room, so it was pretty hard and he ended up sick a lot.
This last roommate was polled ahead of time--he was supposed to be
comfortable with dogs. Turned out he wasn't and he developed "hives"
around the middle of the semester but didn't want to move. He would
physically push O'Mally away from him when he got to close.

Our beds are lofted above the desks and you can reach out and almost
touch the bed across from you. This ment that O'Mally didn't have to
much room to move around, it's a tight space for two people to begin with.

This next semester, I'm going to be in the same setup room, but it will
be with one extra room. This means that I'm splitting the kitchen in
five and not in three. The hardest part about that is I would order my
entire months worth of groceries from peapod (so it'd take like $110)
and I'd get $5 delivery, which was cheaper than getting a cab up to the
store and back again. The next solution would be for me to get a cart
and trek a mile to and from the store, which is doable. I'm mainly
worried about winters--winters in Boston can be pretty rough and getting
to the store will be hard. How have people tackled this, especially in
snowy weather?

My second solution which I would greatly prefer to a tiny rectangular
cell is an apartment. I do not have a cosigner that has the credit for a
loan, but I'm trying to pull at least $4500 or so extra from what I
usually get. Are there good resources for something like this?

Thanks a lot for your suggestions,

--
Take care,
Ty