[nabs-l] apartment resources

Misty Dawn Bradley mistydbradley at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 22:11:20 UTC 2014

Hi Ty,
I agree with Ashley. When I was attending college and stayed in a dorm, I
was supposed to get a roommate, but I wrote the school's housing department
a letter explaining that I need a room to myself because my equipment took
up more room than what a sighted person does. I didn't even have a dog, but
I still got a room to my self on those grounds, so I definitely think that
you would have good grounds for requesting a room to yourself because you
have a dog as well. When I wrote the department, I was able to get
everything straightened out even before the semester started, so I was able
to move in to my own room right when I moved in for the semester. The only
thing I shared was the bathroom with the girl in the room next door, but
that wasn't a big issue for me as long as I had the room to myself, because
I had my embosser, scanner, printer, and other equipment that would have
taken up too much space if I had a roommate. Perhaps you can talk to the
housing department or even the disability services office about getting
these types of accomodations. This may work out better, as most apartments
require you to have a cosigner if you don't make at least three times the
rent, so you may have a hard time qualifying for an apartment without a
full-time job and good credit and rental history. This has been my number
one problem with apartments, as I don't meet the standard qualifications of
at least three times the rent, so it can be particularly hard for college
students who do not make that much, so if you are able to get a dorm room to
yourself, it may be easier to get than an apartment would be.
Hope this helps,
Misty