[nabs-l] Public Speaking

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 03:18:40 UTC 2014

Hi Rahul,
I think getting feedback from someone who can see is an effective strategy. Gestures and non verbals in public speaking are primarily for visual impact and so asking someone who can see if your gestures are enhancing or taking away from your ability to communicate seems reasonable.

Some general tips though that might be helpful. Remember that hand gestures are only a part of your entire non verbal body language. The way you hold your body and head, as well as facial expressions all work together with any gestures you do with your hands or arms. Your posture should be confident but relaxed. For men this generally means shoulders back and head up, with your feet a comfortable distance apart, maybe a little less than shoulder width apart. You want to be comfortable and not rigid. Your arms should be down at your sides unless you are using them for something specific.
The feedback about trying to make eye contact with your audience has been good. You certainly don’t want to be a pendulum, but every once and a while you should make an effort to look at a different part of your audience. You could do this every few sentences or so. I often do something early in a speech to get some kind of audience response so that I can hear exactly where everyone is. I might tell a joke or ask a question that requires everyone to respond as a whole. Being focused and aware of your audience is an excellent technique for all speakers. If you hear someone say something affirming a point you have made, or if they respond audibly in the way you wanted them too, (gasps of shock, cries of outrage, wails of sorrow, etc.) give a slight nod toward that person and a smile if appropriate as you continue speaking. These things will help build a rapport with your audience.

On top of these things, you should add at least a small amount of movement and a few strategically used hand gestures to emphasize the important parts of your speech. Joe’s tip about using movement at transition points in your speech is good. How much or little you want to move is up to you but even taking a step or two to the side of the podium can help give emphasis to a key point or make it clear that you are “stepping out” into a tangent for a moment. If you move on a tangent, make sure you step back to the podium when you resume the main point. Stepping forward or up next to the podium can be effective as you are appealing to your audience about some point. Moving physically closer to them can create a grater sense of intimacy as you make your appeal. I don’t generally move more than a step or two in either direction when I speak but just adding that small movement changed the feedback I received from my classmates. Whatever you do, make sure you are comfortable doing it. If you feel awkward as you move, it will be distracting to you and possibly your audience.

As to adding hand gestures, I would start by picking one or two gestures that you want to work into your repertoire and use them until they become natural and comfortable. Then you can try to add more. One versatile gesture is using a closed fist to punctuate your points. You hold your fist out in front of you as though you were going to pound it on the podium and bring it down on each key syllable you want to emphasize as though you were “hammering” your point home. That sounds really cheesy but it is a similar motion to raising and lowering a hammer, although far gentler and a much smaller range of motion. You generally don’t want to move your fist more than 4 or 5 inches from the top of the gesture to the bottom. If you actually have a podium in front of you, you may want to save this gesture for when you have stepped out to the side, or you could do the gesture above the podium but without striking it. I suppose you could also pound the podium for emphasis but the circumstances where that is appropriate are probably pretty rare. You can use this gesture for subtle emphasis by doing it at a slower pace and in a gentler manner. If you are wanting more intense emphasis, you could make the movement sharper and quicker, but probably not any bigger. For strong emphasis you could tap the bottom of your fist into your other palm in front of you.

My temptation when adding gestures was to make them too large. Big movements can be distracting and take away from what you are saying. How big your movements need to be is also relative to how big of a person you are. If you are a tall guy with long arms or just a big guy, even small gestures look bigger. If you are a smaller person, you may need to make a larger movement for it to be noticeable and get the desired effect.

Don’t be afraid to ask people you trust if something you are doing looks natural or is effective for communicating what you want it to.

Reading back through this message, I’m not sure how much sense those descriptions will make to anyone else. At least I know what I meant :) Hopefully someone else can glean something useful from it.

Best of luck in your public speaking endeavors.

-Greg