[nabs-l] Individualism and Following a Leader

Desiree Oudinot turtlepower17 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 18:40:21 UTC 2014

Hi,
My opinion is that a person who joins an organization must be
self-aware first. In this way, they don't end up compromising too much
of their identity and belief systems in order to "fit in" to the
organization's ideals. I believe this is especially prudent for young
people, who are figuring out who they are on all levels. People would
do well to sit down and honestly evaluate what they would like to get
out of being a part of the organization in question. If they are
psychologically unstable in any way, or lack a cohesive sense of self,
problems can easily develop, such as radical personality shifts, which
are unhealthy, in my opinion, not to mention alienating those who they
were close to, in favor of those who they have met within the group.
If it seems that what I have just written should go without saying,
then you know your standing in life, and how joining organizations
contributes positively to it. Even if one joins an organization at a
vulnerable time in their lives, and it helps them, that's a good
thing. What I will NEVER condone is a person who clearly is looking to
fill a void, and does so by bending over backwards in order to please
others. That is just as unhealthy, and ultimately destructive, as
drugs or alcohol as a means of escape.

--
Desiree