[nabs-l] NABS: A Division of the National Federation of the Blind

Sean Whalen smwhalenpsp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 21:18:30 UTC 2014

Good afternoon,

I have been closely following the various threads we have working here on
the list, and I feel obliged to come out and make a couple points absolutely
clear. Several messages, while I'm sure this was not the intention, have
suggested or implied that NABS views itself or functions as something
separate or apart from the National Federation of the Blind. In fact, this
notion seems to have become a campaign issue in some cases. I am all for a
healthy discourse on the future of NABS, where we can improve, where we have
fallen short, etc. But I would urge that we confine this discourse to issues
that are actually issues. Could the relationship between NABS and our
leaders in Baltimore be strengthened? Yes, of course it could. Things can
always be improved and we should always be striving to make things better.
But I do not want anybody following these posts to come away with the
impression that NABS' leadership and national leadership do not have a rock
solid working relationship. Moreover, I do not want anybody to embrace the
mistaken notion that we on the NABS Board, and in NABS in general, are not
actively engaged in supporting the work of the Federation.

On the first point regarding collaboration and cooperation between the NABS
Board and the National Center for the Blind in Baltimore, our headquarters,
let me say without equivocation: Dr. Maurer is the leader of NFB and NABS. I
shouldn't have to say it. There is no question here. But, more to the point,
Dr. Maurer is a mentor, partner and friend. Likewise with Anil Lewis, Mark
Riccobono, Jesse Hartle and numerous other national leaders. When NABS has
faced difficulties or when I have needed advice and support I have picked up
the phone and called Dr. Maurer and our other leaders. Without exception
they have been supportive and willing to help. NABS is NFB and NFB is NABS,
success for either is success for both. When our organization has undertaken
initiatives of particular import to students, NABS has always been eager and
ready to do what we can to support the work of our Federation. We
collaborated closely with Anil Lewis and Dr. Maurer to put on a student
leadership seminar last June. Led by Cindy Bennett, NABS has worked side by
side with our governmental affairs team to collect student stories
highlighting the need for the TEACH Act. These are but two examples. The
bottom line is that I know that I can call upon our national leadership for
guidance and support and have frequently done so. And while I can't speak
for anybody, I am reasonably certain that our national leaders know that
they can call on me and on NABS. Many of our leaders are folks who I
consider friends. And I am certainly not the only member of the NABS Board
who enjoys both professional and personal relationships with the leadership
of our movement.

Now, on the question of how engaged NABS is in the work of the NFB; the
proof is in the pudding. Seven of the nine NABS Board members currently
serve in the leadership of their local chapters or state affiliates, and
some on both. I myself, though currently holding no elected position outside
of NABS, have served as Treasurer of two chapters and on the board of the
NFB of Wisconsin. I am also active in my state. We have several folks on our
board who work as BELL coordinators. Start looking off the board and at our
membership, and we are only scratching the surface. NABS members are an
active and vital part of the NFB, and to suggest otherwise either exhibits a
misunderstanding of the facts or is downright disingenuous. Let me be clear.
We can do better. We must do better in order to realize the goals toward
which we are all working. However, the idea that NABS is a simple social
club whose members are not involved in real work on the part of the
Federation misses the mark and fails to acknowledge a lot of folks who are
doing good work on behalf of the cause.

Again, I am not saying that things are perfect or no work is needed. NABS
could do a better job communicating with our leadership, as well as with our
members. I could have done a better job personally as President on these
issues. But I am absolutely proud of the work we have done and stand firm in
my conviction that NABS is bigger, stronger, more transparent, better
funded, and more active than it was five years ago when I came onto the
board under Arielle Silverman, who, despite her modest post to this list,
deserves a whole lot of the credit for strengthening our division and our
entire organization. Arielle was a strong leader who was always ready to
listen to and consider other points of view. She enabled all of us to
contribute. I'll wrap up this message by thanking her for that. Arielle
taught me some valuable lessons about leadership, and I have always tried to
follow her example of inclusiveness and deliberation. I hope I have
succeeded in living up to her example in this regard.

As always, please feel free to be in touch with any thoughts, questions or
suggestions about NABS and the work we all do together.

Many thanks,

Sean

Sean Whalen

President, National Association of Blind Students

(608) 332-4147

Nabs.president at gmail.com