[nabs-l] Thank You

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Mon Jun 23 23:56:24 UTC 2014

Fellow Federationists:

Before I begin the main content of this message, I want to talk with everyone briefly about how to read my messages.
During evening airlight flights, it is customary for passenters to look out their windows and view the lights on the ground beneath them. When flying between New York and Boston, there remains one stretch of land where there is total darkness: the hills of northeastern Connecticut, often called "The Last Green Valley." This is where I grew up, and this is where I learned many of my speech patterns. Our words are direct and authentic, and we do not communicate by inserting meaning between the lines. If we feel something, we express it specifically.
I really appreciate the discussion we've generated about the progress and future of NABS, as well as the philosophical relationship between organizations and individualism. I like to think deeply about the world and am grateful to have friends who will do it with me, especially about something so important.

When I asked about transparency, I was truly looking for members' opinions to help draw a conclusion about our progress and to help formulate future plans. I always want to understand our movement better, and, as Gabe said, this is something we have been discussing for a while. I especially appreciate the posts of Elizabeth Mohnke, Garrett Mooney, and Arielle. These three outlined the needs for improvement, the success we've achieved, and the road to get there; I take them to heart.

On the discussion of individualism and organizations, I have also seen great comments. I love the ideas about self-awareness. A point that I would like to insert is that the individual and organization can strengthen each other, and I believe that this is the case in the Federation. I am stronger and more successful because of the Federation, and I like to believe that the Federation is stronger and more successful because of me.

In some messages on this list, it appears to me that some here think that I have some negative feelings toward the rest of our board, and I'm not sure how to effectively demonstrate that this is not the case. I still love each and every member of the NABS board. Siblings can disagree on things and still love each other. Life is too short to hold onto negative feelings. Sean has been a mentor and teacher to me, and I believe that I have gotten from him what I need in order to serve in his position effectively. The most important role of any president is preparing the membership for the days after his departure. We have what we need. When I explain the areas where I want to focus on strengthening NABS, it does not mean that we are horrible failures in those areas; it simply means I am most interested in focusing on those areas.

If I am elected President of the National Association of Blind Students, I will bring authentic and direct communication with no messages between the lines. I want to focus on strengthening the relationship between NABS and the National Federation of the Blind and those between the NABS board and the state student divisions. I am always thinking about ways to improve and do not fear that an effort to improve condemns past progress. Your NABS is my NABS, and I want our NABS to be the best NABS it can be.

Sincerely yours,

Justin Salisbury
Board Member
National Association of Blind Students
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
Twitter: @_JSalisbury