[nabs-l] Bre Brown for Secretary

Bre Brown bre.brown24 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 15:27:58 UTC 2014

Fellow Federationists,

 In 2009 I became a proud member of the National Federation of the
Blind. I had heard about our organization for several years. However,
I never realized how awesome and impacting the NFB is until I joined.
As a new member, the state leaders in the NFB of West Virginia took me
under their wings, and they began teaching me our philosophy and
mentoring me. Six months later I had the privilege of attending a
youth leadership academy at the NFB Jernigan Institute. There I met
some of our national leaders and learned so much about our
organization. At that point I knew I was hooked.

By September of 2010 I was the president of the West Virginia
Association of Blind Students, and by 2011 I was serving on the state
board. I held both of these positions until 2013. All of those
opportunities led me to get involved with the National Association of
Blind Students (NABS). I started out by serving on a committee to get
more high school students involved. I extended my service to NABS by
volunteering wherever help was needed. After attending the Louisiana
Center for the Blind, I relocated to Texas. There I became the
secretary of the Texas Association of Blind Students which is one of
the most active student divisions in the country. In 2013 I was
elected as a board member of NABS. It has been an absolute honor to
serve in all of these positions. It has made me realize how much we
can effect change, set goals for the future, and continue the movement
of an active and vibrant organization.

I am planning to run for the position of secretary of NABS at our
annual business meeting. As a board member, I am currently serving on
the communications committee, and I am extensively handling our social
media platforms. I love organizing, planning, inputting information,
volunteering, and doing what it takes to help ensure that NABS
continues to be a successful, energetic organization. Because of all
of the opportunities I've been granted, I have developed great
organizational and communication skills. I would like to use my skills
to help continue the work of NABS. I want to increase the outreach
efforts of NABS, and my goal is to develop more state student
divisions. I am thrilled to be a part of NABS, and I know that we have
an extremely bright future ahead of us.

Being a member of the National Federation of the Blind has
significantly changed my life. I have been given so much, and I have
acquired an enormous amount of skills from wonderful people and
leaders. It's an honor to continue giving back, and serving on this
board is just another part of that. I would greatly appreciate your
vote for me as the next secretary of NABS!

Warmest Regards,
Bre Brown