[nabs-l] Thank you, NABS

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 21:46:22 UTC 2014

Hi Darian and all,

I just want to take a moment to publicly recognize Darian for his
service to NABS over the past five years. Before Darian was elected to
the NABS board in 2009 I had only met him once when he came to speak
to my local chapter about Americorps. I thought he was a nice guy, but
had no idea what to expect from him in terms of leadership ability or
productivity. I was very pleasantly surprised and impressed with
Darian's performance on the board. Darian offered to chair the
membership committee, a position I had held before I became president.
Membership chair can often be a grueling and thankless job, especially
when the membership chair organizes conference calls that are poorly
attended as many of mine were. I recall some poorly attended
membership calls early on, and we would tease Darian about sending out
"desperation emails" to the NABS list begging people to join calls
that were already in progress. However, Darian and his committee
worked tirelessly to publicize the calls and find topics that
interested the membership, and attendance increased greatly. I also
recall watching Darian capably work with my old student division in
Arizona to guide it through a leadership change in 2010. Darian was
always very dependable and I could count on him for his loyalty and
tireless dedication to the projects under his wing. As some of you
know, I am introverted, and crowded social events are not where I
shine. Darian and his fellow committee members were always more than
happy to head up these events on my behalf. Finally, Darian took the
lead, along with Mary Fernandez and others, to organize the NABS
mentoring program at convention--a project that, frankly, intimidated
me with its complexity.
I cannot comment as much on Darian's contributions to NABS after 2011,
but I think it is apparent that Darian's work has made the division
tangibly stronger than it was before. We will miss your leadership in
NABS but we wish you all the best in your other pursuits both in and
outside the Federation.

Warmly,
Arielle