[nabs-l] Social skills and blindness

helga.schreiber26 at gmail.com helga.schreiber26 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 07:57:26 UTC 2014

Hi Arielle and all, this is Helga! I just wanted to tell you that I am
always very talkative and I interact a lot with people since I was low
vision, but I was actually very shy and timmid when I was talking to them!
However, when I became blind 6 years ago, I started  to interact more with
students and people, more than before, since whenever I needed help, they
always ask me if I need any help, and I actually answer yes, but not all the
time though, but when they help me, I always started a conversation with
them. In fact, I became totally blind in my second semester of my freshman
year in high school, and I actually had an assistant when I was in high
school who was very nice with me, and she actually took my shyness away, and
we actually became very good friends! Actually, when I was in high school,
she was always  pushing me to talk to the students and the people more, more
than talking just with her, and in that way, I learned how to communicate
with students and people more than ever before! And whenever she comes visit
me here in Florida, I always tell her that she open up my shell! LOL!!
Meaning that she took my shyness away!  So you can call this a very good
Sociall skills even though you are blind, or maybe not! I'm very glad to
share with you guys a little bit of my life experience. I actually feel that
I can open my heart with you all here!, since I think you guys are very good
friends to talk to! Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks and God bless!! :)
P.S. if you want to talk to me more about my life experience, you can
contact me off list ok? Only if you want of course! Thanks again! ;)