[nabs-l] Some Writing Advice for Helga

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 9 01:42:35 UTC 2014

Hello Helga,

I am not sure what the specific instructions are for your paper.  However,
there are a few guiding principles you can follow when completing writing
assignments. Generally, there is always some kind of introduction, a thesis
statement, body paragraphs or sentences to support your thesis, and a
conclusion. How long your introduction, supporting details, and conclusion
are suppose to be will depend on your specific assignment.

It is common for people not to know what to write about when first starting
on a writing assignment. If you are having trouble getting started, be sure
to read the assignment instructions again to see what your instructor is
looking for in this particular assignment. The assignment sheet may provide
examples that can help you get started.

After reading through the assignment sheet, I usually perform a writing
exercise known as free writing. Basically, I take five to ten minutes
writing down every thought that comes into my mind. If I cannot think of
anything to write about, then I write down that I cannot think of anything
to write about during this exercise. Other statements common during this
exercise include things like how much this assignment sucks, and the fact
that I really do not have anything to say. I find that as I keep writing,
the more productive my thoughts become, and I find a few statements I can
actually use for my writing assignment.

If this exercise sparks some ideas, I will simply continue writing when the
time is up. However, sometimes I need to read through what I have just
written in order to create more ideas or material for my writing assignment.
When I am done with this exercise, I will take all the good thoughts and
statements to create a working draft for my assignment. Sometimes you will
need to create several drafts before creating a final polished draft that
you can turn into your professor.

If you think you need more help in completing your writing assignments,
there are usually resources available on campus as well as in the community.
Resources you may find on campus may include a writing center, tutoring
services, and international services for those who speak and write English
as a second language. Your college may also provide classes specifically to
help students who are struggling with English as a second language you may
wish to take to help improve your writing skills. I know each college is
different, but I think it would definitely be worthwhile for you to seek out
some of these services.

Based on what you have posted to the email list, I can tell you are a rather
intelligent young woman who is looking to succeed in life. I have no doubt
that your thoughts alone would make for a great paper for any of your
classes. I think learning how to learn how to get things done without always
having to rely on others is an important lesson to learn in college. So do
not be afraid to give something a try even if you are not quite sure how
well it will turn out in the end.

And if you truly feel as though you do not have the skills to succeed, then
perhaps you may wish to attend one of the NFB training centers. I hear they
are a great place to help build self-confidence and other important skills
for success.

Anyway, sorry for my long post, but I hope you have found some of what I
have said helpful for completing your writing assignments.

Best of luck,
Elizabeth