[nabs-l] summer camp jobs

minh ha minh.ha927 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 03:39:07 UTC 2014

Ashley,

Are you and your friend only looking into counselor positions at blind
camps because there are thousands and thousands of summer camp
programs out there that you could work at. I've worked at both a day
camp for kids ages 7-13 and an overnight camp for only visually
impaired children in the same age range. Both of my experiences were
extremely positive; I had a lot of fun working with the kids, doing
arts and crafts projects, writing skits and songs, participating in
the usual summery physical activities. If you like working with kids,
then it's definitely an excellent job to look into. It can get pretty
exhausting though, especially the overnight camps as you are
responsible for rambunctious children 24/7. Many non profits also host
their own summer programs targeting specific groups of underprivileged
youth, so you could start by doing a search for non profits in your
area dedicated to doing this kind of work. I personally use and love
idealist.org. If you're into sports, there's a pretty popular camp I
believe called Camp Abilities that teach kids adaptive sports. I
honestly don't know any music camps geared towards blind children, but
your friend could just do a general google search on summer music
camps; he could always teach music theory and jazz to sighted
students. Hope this helps.

Minh