[nabs-l] summer camp jobs

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 05:43:08 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have only done a small number of counselor-ish things, but I've had
very positive experiences.  A few summers ago I was a junior counselor
at a day camp for children with special needs, mostly Down Syndrome.
This was a great experience for me, and the kids had fun too.  The
hardest part in that experience was working with kids who were very
severely disabled, as well as those who were very highly functioning.
I had to split my time between making sure one of the students didn't
try to leave the building because she had a habit of wondering off,
and keeping the highest functioning student engaged.  Of course, I
also had to devote time and attention to those who fell into the gap
between the 2, but it worked out okay.

My other experience as a counselor of sorts has been in the NFB Ohio
Bell Program.   I was one of the teachers last summer and loved it!
I'm looking forward to going back, and had a blast working with the
kids.  The affiliate has gotten great reports from parents too, and 2
of our students even came to speak about BELL at our state convention
a few months ago.  BELL might be something both of you consider; it's
a great time, and it can actually teach counselors/teachers a lot,
too.

As far as music camps go, I know of a few.  Braille Beats is one I
have personally attended as a student for years, although students are
welcome through college age and a lot of the work is handled by the
adult directors.  The Summer Braille Music Institute, the program you
spoke of in Philadelphia, is another good one that I have attended.
However, you are right that it has not been held last year, and will
not be held this summer as well while the directors are looking into
improving the program.  I've heard of a jazz camp in Louisiana, and
there also is a jazz-specific summer program I looked into attending
last summer held at Berkely School of Music in Mas.  I can try to find
the information in my inbox again and send it to you to pass on to
your friend, Ashley, if you think he'd be interested.  From what
you've written, that one sounds like it might be right up his ally.

Kaiti