[nabs-l] college ebooks question

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 20:15:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

Why we can't just have books given to us for free:  Getting text, or
otherwise accessible versions of books is an accomodation.  However,
that does not excuse us from not buying the book like everyone else.
Just be happy that the university isn't charging you for converting
the book, and you're paying a fair price rather than paying double for
the same thing (a college in my area is notorious for doing this, even
though it's technically illegal).  Also, if the university can't get
book files from the publisher, they then will need your copy to rip it
apart and scan it.  Most universities have online bookstores, so what
I do is just send the recipt of my order that is emailed to me to the
disability services inbox, and that's proof enough for them.  Don't
forget, even though you buy these print books and never use them, you
can still sell them back and regain some of your money.  I do this
every semester, and usually I get more back than most people do
because my books are still in the rapping, and all the bookstore
workers have to do is restock them.

Bookshare is a great source for textbooks, and so is Bard/NLS.  I
personally hate Reading Ally because I support braille over readers
and don't use readers for anything myself, but I know it works for
other people.

Best practices for getting books and other accomodations in the
future: Let the DS office know what your needs are as soon as you
schedule your classes.  Email your professors and see if they would
like to meet in-person or over the phone to discuss course materials.
Turn in book lists and recipts as soon as you have them.  If there is
an online platform for the course, see if you can  get someone in IT
to check out the accessibility ahead of time.  These things are even
more important if you have accelerated courses, modules, or courses
over the summer or MayMester schedules.  Pay attention to deadlines
regarding when you can drop classes without penalty, because if the
accessibility of a class is an issue for you you need to try to switch
into another section with different requirements so you can work
around the issue, or you need to switch into a new course entirely and
take that semester to work out the kinks before signing up again.

Kaiti