[nabs-l] college ebooks question

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 22 21:04:15 UTC 2014

John,
I don't mean to be nosy or judgemental. But I'm wondering why you need a
scribe in class.
Many schools offer notetakers in class or what is often called scribes.

Can you take your own notes? I don't know if you have a disability that
makes it hard to write while listening.
What was done in high school? For me, I always took my notes with a brailler
or electronic notetaker.
How about bringing something with you to class to take notes? If you have a
braille notetaker this works well such as a braille Note or braille sense.
You can also bring a tablet device assuming you have one with a keyboard;
this might be an ipad orwindows tablet. Some students even use laptops but I
never did that as it would be hard to hear jaws and the professor.

I don't know why you'd neet someone to write for you; a reader I understand,
but a writer, hmm.

Also I'm wondering why won't the school assign a notetaker for class now?
True, you did not supply your receits,
but why does this affect your request for in class support? These are
separate accomodations. Your textbooks  are contingent on the receits. But
requesting in class support is not contingent on getting your texts.
This really does not make sense to me.
VTW, I had some notetakers for certain classes and it was helpful. My
grammar professor wrote lots of examples on the board, and yes she read
aloud, but it was fast, and I liked getting to review it later; my notetaker
copied down the examples; and no way I could copy it down as she read it.
Same with interpersonal communication; he also wrote key outlines on the
board, and my notetaker's notes were helpful.

So, I'm not knocking the class support. I'm just suggesting you take your
own notes if possible.

Ashley