[nabs-l] problems with a TVI

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 03:20:36 UTC 2014

Lillie,

This is an interesting dilemma.

While it would be very nice of you to help this student out, I think
you have a fair assessment in mind of what is reasonable for the
blindness professionals to ask of you, and what is not.

I see your point about there not being a universal need for braille
numbers.  With the exception of braille, which I will admit I strongly
advocate for, there really isn't any universal accomodation that works
for all blind students.  There are too many variables to have blanket
accomodations for everyone, especially in things like mobility where
several factors, including amount of vision, other mental or
developmental disabilities, and spatial awareness come into play.

I personally would side with you on the braille number thing; none of
my classrooms in high school except for my braillist's office had
braille on them because the building was so old.  Granted, my high
school was essentially a big square on each floor, but it didn't take
rocket science for me to remember room numbers in the first few weeks,
and then the room numbers became unimportant because I knew where I
was going.  Room numbers are really not that important once you get
past the first week or so of school and know your routes.  I too can't
speak for this other student, but at least in my experiences knowing
how to get from point A to point B is easier than knowing I have to go
from this room to that room.  Heck, my college buildings don't have
consistent braille labels on doors.

In terms of mobility, some people are pretty advanced, and can figure
most things out themselves or with minimal coaching, while others
really struggle.  While it isn't cool just to leave the mobility
stragglers in the dust, it also is not okay to expect the good
navigators to go above and beyond to help the stragglers.  I
personally think the best way to improve your skills is to practice
them, and people who are coddled can't get that practice in
independence.

You certainly have the right to refuse to come to the meeting,
especially since it would probably mean missing class for you, and as
you said you have AP exams in a few weeks.  Why should you miss class
for a problem you're not having, especially when missing would cause
problems for you?

I wouldn't take what the TVI says so personally.  Yes, it's annoying,
and he might have totally ludicrous ideas of how little blind people
can actually do, but you only have to put up with him for a limitted
time, and if he thinks you're not doing enough to help this student,
then he can think what he wants.  It sounds like you want to help when
it is reasonable, but you also have to protect your own interests and
academics.

Kaiti