[nabs-l] Personal characteristics and traits of successful blind people

Joe jsoro620 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 23:39:50 UTC 2014

Arielle,

Inaccessible technology, lack of transit, and discrimination are not merely
lack of opportunities. They are depictions of reality over which we do not
always have control. Perhaps it could be said that blindness, could, be a
non-issue if the stars aligned and these inconveniences did not slow down
our forward momentum, but few are the blind people who can move through life
without experiencing frustration with the delays and detours at random
points along the way. In fact, I would submit that those few for whom
blindness is truly a non-issue are the ones working at the heights of the
blindness movement where it is easy to drum up platitudes of opportunity and
analogies of blindness to a nuisance. Whatever will motivate you to go out
and raise money for the cause, right? For the rest of us living outside of
that leadership bubble, life's tough. Can it be done? Most assuredly, and I
will take a motivational whip to anyone's arse who claims otherwise, but
there's success according to the over-simplistic way Baltimore preaches and
then there's success according to the real-world way the rest of us earn it.

--
Twitter: @ScribblingJoe

Visit my blog:
http://joeorozco.com/blog