[nabs-l] Success and Why I Left the NFB

Anjelina anjelinac at att.net
Sun Mar 30 19:30:45 UTC 2014

Hi Arielle,
Your leadership and your openness to new ideas is a feature I thoroughly still enjoy on this list. :) Keep it up!
I sadly have noticed that for a person who may have multiple disabilities and may not be able to follow, say structured disorcovery to a tee, they have felt put out or less than. Thankfully this does not happen to everyone, and like you said there are always other chapters and devisions. When I next talk to a few friends who have felt like outsiders I will be sure to mention this option.

-Anjelina
Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 30, 2014, at 2:00 PM, Arielle Silverman <arielle71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Joe,
>
> Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have not been following the
> Braille Monitor that closely but I can understand what you are saying
> about the increased emphasis on fund-raising. I have also felt like
> the national convention is turning into more of a carnival with all
> the exhibitors and prizes being given away, and much of banquet that
> used to focus on philosophy and NFB spirit is now taken up with prize
> drawings and the like.
> To be fair, NFB was stronger financially when we joined than it is
> now, and I understand that some national programs have been cut due to
> a decrease in revenue from what used to be steady reliable income
> sources. So NFB may be pushing fund-raising more, but the alternative
> could be a loss of programs and resources.
> I have not heard of anyone being blatantly turned away or refused
> membership in an NFB chapter. If that ever happens it is truly
> shameful. I do think that sometimes prospective members choose not to
> join because they perceive hostility from the organization or judgment
> of their lifestyle choices. I think part of that is perception only,
> and part of it is reality. The NFB is stereotyped as a radical
> one-size-fits-all organization, and new members expecting to find that
> could be especially sensitive to cues of hostility. However, there
> probably is some real lack of acceptance among certain segments of the
> organization, which, again, is unfortunate. I will say that I am not
> the most graceful blind person and was relatively unskilled when I
> first joined, and I still felt completely accepted. But I know not all
> of us are so lucky. I would encourage prospective members who have a
> negative experience to try again in a different chapter or division
> and perhaps they will find acceptance there. But at the same time,
> this is something we need to be sensitive to in the organization.
>
> Arielle
>
>> On 3/30/14, Michael Capelle <michael.capelle at frontier.com> wrote:
>> Hello all.
>> This is why I am not apart of any "blind movement."  I live my own life,
>> live my own philosophy, ETC.  I do not believe in a one size fits all
>> mentality, which is unfurtunately what the NFB does.
>> Thanks.
>> Mike

>>> efforts
>>> for other nonprofits outside of the blindness field, also national in