[nabs-l] Success and Why I Left the NFB

Kerri Kosten kerrik2006 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 17:03:25 UTC 2014

Hi Everyone:

I have had many differing feelings and thoughts as I have followed
this discussion.
I have a little different of a perspective regarding the NFB not being
welcoming of others who have multiple disabilities.
I joined the NFB in 2010 and was welcomed with open arms in my state.
In fact, many in my state had been trying to get me to join for a long
time but I refused because I had many misperceptions about the NFB.
In January of 2013, I graduated from the Louisiana Center for The
Blind. I had a wonderful experience, and would recomend training at an
NFB center to anyone who is blind.
In addition to being totally blind, I have severe hearing loss. My
hearing loss particularly affects my travel. I am not a vanilla blind
person, and yet I have felt welcome in the organization. I love
attending national conventions, and have made a lot of friends.
Last year, I was recomended by my state President and was invited to
attend an invitation only leadership seminar at the National center
held by NABS.
At national convention last summer, I met a prominent leader in the
Nebraska affiliate. She told me about a story about how she got to
meet with Kenneth Jernigan once. I don't exactly remember all the
details of the story, but this lady told me she went to meet Dr.
Jernigan and she was complaining about this and that and she kept on
complaining. After she was finished, Dr. Jernigan looked at her and
said "So what are you going to do about it?"
This story really stuck with me. I think it's easy for those of us who
aren't in the leadership circle to sometimes feel unwelcomed and get
burned out or become so frustrated we quit.
But, if we want the organization to change, we can't quit. We can't
give up. Not everyone is just the vanilla blind. We can't give up. If
you don't feel welcome, or you don't feel involved enough, take steps
to change that. Reach out to the leaders at the state and chapter
level. If you have one in your area, get involved in your local
chapter. Attend your state's board meetings even if you are not on the
board.
We can't expect anything to change if we aren't willing to try to
fight to make those changes happen. If we just give up and quit the
organization, nothing will change.
As for ACB, I do not like ACB at all. I have listened to a few of
their conventions/conferences online, and I feel they run their
organization very unprofessionally. I feel the NFB has many more
programs and the three NFB training centers to help blind people be
successful. I feel the ACB just complains all the time, but takes no
action. I have witnessed this happening. I feel like in the NFB we
really take action and stand up and fight whereas the ACB doesn't
really do much and just complains and does not take much action.
I have never heard of anyone being blatantly turned away from joining
the NFB. If this happens, the person should notify the National office
right away. It would be a huge shame if something like that happened.
Are there areas where the organization could change or become better?
Certainly. The NFB is not perfect by any means. I also would like to
see more blind people with multiple disabilities have more prominent
leadership roles. I wish more blind people with multiple disabilities
joined in the organization. But, if those of us who are just average
or not exactly the vanilla blind want our voices to be heard, we can't
give up and we have to keep fighting for change. The more of us there
are the bigger our voices can be!! Please don't give up!!
I hope my post does not offend anyone.
I am just really passionate about this organization, and as someone
who does have multiple disabilities I hate to see people feeling
unwelcome/like they are falling through the cracks. I believe every
blind person could benefit from the organization, and everyone should
be able to have the same opportunities as those who are "vanilla
blind" if they so choose.
Thanks,
Kerri