[nabs-l] Orientation and Mobility Training to college campus

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon May 5 22:51:51 UTC 2014

Hi Winona,

Like Minh, I think I started learning the campus about a month before
I was supposed to arrive.  My situation was a little different, since
I moved in a week early for marching band camp, but I think my mom
just pointing out landmarks everytime we have gone up there for tours,
visits with the disabilities services, and music auditions helped me a
lot.  So knowledge of that stuff from past visits will only help you.
For example, I knew from my mom telling me on repeated visits that the
engineering building was basically the center of campus, and it was
across from the humanities plaza, with the music building set back
between the two buildings.  On the far side, away from the music
building, was a parking lot which I could walk through to get to my
dorm, and other student residence buildings.  Though I wasn't familiar
with the spatial aspects of this area any more, I was able to recall
what my mom had told me and confirm my hunches with the instructor.
This helped us cover more ground in a short amount of time, I believe.

I worked with my instructor for 2 to 4 hours 4 or 5 weeks in a row.
Each time I grew more familiar with the routes I would need to get to
my academic buildings, and we even managed to find shortcuts.  I was
really lucky in that my dorm was really close to the main cafeteria on
campus, and for most of the year there is a fountain outside of it.
Using the fountain was great for getting me on the right path towards
the student union, and by the time the fountain was shut off in
November I didn't have to rely upon it any more.

One other recommendation I would have would be to get a rehab teacher
to help you as well.  I got lucky to get a guy who was a certified
orientation and mobility instructor as well as a certified rehab
teacher, so some of the time we were together at school was spent
labeling different things.  I was able to get bump dots put on the
washers so I would know where the dial needed to go, and my mailbox
got a braille label on it so I could look for my name rather than try
to read the tiny print room number.  He also made sure I was familiar
with how the microwave and air conditioning unit in my room were set
up, which was really nice because I got to see my room early.

One other thing that students typically struggle with is navigating
the cafeteria.  Often it can be pretty difficult to navigate crowds,
or know what is where in buffet situations.  I got lucky in that there
are people to serve most things to you when you order them at stations
in the cafeteria, and the cafeteria food court is basically set up
like a horseshoe; everyone goes in at one end of the horshshoe, and
circles around till they find the station they want to order from.  On
the opposite side of the horseshoe is a drink station, and then there
are 4 or so registers you can go to for payment.  The only thing that
is a bit tricky for me to work with is the salad bar, since it is
pretty rarely staffed, but typically salad bars will have the same
kinds of things in the same areas from day to day, and you can learn
them as you go.  Having access to online menues helps a lot as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck with starting college.  It's really an
exciting time!

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/minh.ha927%40gmai
>>> l.com
>>>

>> --
>> "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty
>> recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:
>> but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on
>> their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." T. E. Lawrence

>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/dsmithnfb%40gmail.
>> com

> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/justin.williams2%40gmail
> .com