[nabs-l] Accomodating in experiential learning courses

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Mon May 5 23:02:19 UTC 2014

Thanks all for your suggestions.  Here is a little more information
about the situation.

An in-person meeting really is probably not possible for me, the music therapist
I know, and the faculty simply because she is based in my hometown,
and I go to school in a city that is about an hour away.  Getting
transportation for her certainly would not be impossible, but it would
be really expensive for an hour or so of time to meet.  That is why I
suggested phone conversations, because then geography would not be an
issue, and they could have more frequent consultations with her.  The
professors mentioned in our meeting that they are thinking of driving
to her to see her clinical work, but the questions I have are that if
they were going to do this, why did they wait so long to do it, and
when are they planning to do this?

I had a very lengthy conversation with my disabilities services
counselor before leaving campus, and I went to her immediately after
the meeting for an additional conversation as well.  She has agreed to
step in, and has the idea that if the groups can not be made
accessible to me, then perhaps the best answer would be to adjust the
practicum so that I have a smaller number of clients, or are in a
different setting with different documentation requirements.  I told
her what the music therapist told me about documentation.  She said
that she has never had to document things as specifically as I am
having to do, and she just keeps track of the goals and objectives,
the session plans, and the progress her clients make towards reaching
their goals and objectives in documents on her notetaker.  So, it is
very clear that the definition of acceptable documentation, and what
information is truly salient for the MT to know, is not concrete.

The problemwith not knowing who comes and leaves is a difficult one.
First, the room we were in was more like a day room that was just set
off of a hallway.  There were no doors to open or shut.  If a resident
wanted to go back to their room, so long as they were ambulatory, they
could just get up, leave the semicircle, and go down the hall.  Also,
it is difficult to pay attention to any noises people like that might
make when you're facilitating a song.  One of my problems I had to
work on this semester was learning to project with my voice since I am
not a vocalist by trade, so for a while and to this day it has felt
like I'm shouting when really I'm just singing at a reasonable volume
for the residents, many of whom have hearing impairments, to hear.
Also, when we'd come into the room we'd have to push this big set of
tables back towards the opposite wall to make room for the semicircle,
and sometimes residents would come in late and sit themselves behind
the table where some of the staff waits on-hand than insert themselves
into the group.  We had one resident who tended to do this a lot, and
I would always feel really bad if I was passing out instruments or
scarves and failed to give her one.

I was given feedback on evaluations, and was consistently told to be
more specific, but the problem was that I simply did not know how to.
I was providing information on what I knew and heard about in the
discussions after sessions, but it's difficult to provide information
and document something you didn't know happened.  I also understand
that I should be held to the same expectations as everyone else, but
not when those expectations ask me to do things I physically cannot
do.  There has to be a compromise.

I am planning to seek information from the folks on the Human Services
list.  That was a great suggestion that I really want to take, but I
thought I'd try to see if students had a perspective first, since I
know the human services division actually doesn't have a lot, if any,
music therapists.  I have been on the list a few times, and am still
hoping a professional will pop up on there for me to network with.

Greg brought up an interesting point, and one I really agree with.  It
is clear from what my music therapist contact told me that I'm
probably not going to need to be as specific when I document in the
job sector as I am going to need to be in practicum.  I understand
that by teaching us to do more work that it will be easier when we
don't have to do as much after graduating, but it makes it difficult
to get to that point if the expectations don't have a modification
that would allow me to be successful.  Unfortunately, I have to do
what my supervising professors want me to do in order to earn the
freedom to document in a way that is more suitable for me.

I'm very frustrated; I have never had any academic issues till this
year, and so far the 2 problems I've encountered are in classes I need
for my major.  All my gen ed professors and I form working
relationships so easily, and while it is obvious where I struggle and
where I don't (math and science courses verses English and History,
psychology, and philosophy respectively), I
do my best, and the professors adjust their requirements when
necessary.  E.G, in biology we had journal assignments, where we had
to find a journal article, review it, and write a summary.  The
original requirements stated that we had to underline the parts of the
journal article we used.  Since I could not underline something that
was already published on the web, I underlined the parts of my written
document which I paraphrased from the article.  When my teacher saw
this on the second of these assignments, she asked me why I didn't
follow directions and I told her why.  Even though she missed the
reasoning behind it, and forgot to even take the fact that I couldn't
physically underline something into account, she took note of it.  I
actually got a few points added on to my first assignment as well,
which she had taken off for the underlining issue.  If a biology
professor who I had for one semester can do this, it makes me nervous
that the professors I will need to work with in my major to get my
degree cannot.  The worst part is that it is effecting me much more
than academically too; I am now not as confident as I was, since I am
so used to being an A B student, and this is really the first time I
feel like my blindness is an issue.  To tell the truth, it's the first
time I've really felt self-conscious about it, and it's not a good
feeling at all.  The profs say my disability has nothing to do with it
other than the fact that I didn't communicate my needs well enough,
but I honestly don't believe that is the case.  It really does feel
like my blineness, and the disagreements over how to teach me and
accommodate it, are what has caused me to require an extra year of
college.  I just heard for sure that this has put me an entire year
behind in the practicum sequence this afternoon, and it is difficult
to fathom what to do next, how to handle myself when I go back for my
second try, and how I'll even pay for the fifth year I was not at all
expecting to take.  I guess on the bright side, I can get my second
minor that those same advisors were advising me to drop, since I'll
need to take some courses in order to remain a full time student for
financial aid purposes if I'm going to afford it at all.  And, I'll be
able to file the fafsa as an independent student since I won't be
younger than 21 or have a job at the time, but this is just very hard
for me to accept having grown up with excellent grades and no major
problems related to my education.

Kaiti