[nabs-l] Here’s How to Find Volunteer Opportunities – When You Want, Where You Want | Points of Light

Darian Smith via nabs-l nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Mon May 12 18:20:39 UTC 2014

Saw this article while  doing some research and thought some of you might find it interesting.
 Best,
  Darian
http://www.pointsoflight.org/blog/2014/01/16/here%E2%80%99s-how-find-volunteer-opportunities-%E2%80%93-when-you-want-where-you-want

Here’s How to Find Volunteer Opportunities – When You Want, Where You Want

Let’s say you love animals and want to volunteer your time helping abandoned pets in your community. Or, you’re looking for a way to give back this holiday weekend, to recognize the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service.

In seconds you can have a list of options, as The Huffington Post reports in “13 Websites That Will Match You With The Perfect Opportunity To Make A Difference.”

Two of those sites – AllforGood.org and

generationOn.org are brought to you by Points of Light.
Try them out today to find volunteer opportunities near you that are meaningful to you. At AllforGood.org, you can search by your area of interest, keywords, and your city, state or zip code. The Huffington post writes, “The largest database of volunteer opportunities online, All for Good is the ultimate platform for finding ways to make a difference. Each month, the site hosts 150,000 local volunteer listings in major cities.”

And generationOn.org “gives young people the tools and know-how to create change in the world,” The Huffington Post says. “From veterans to the environment to bullying, generationOn gives young people concrete concepts and a how-to for ideas, such as recipes to make for families in need or holding a park cleanup.” See a list of projects here.

Check out AllforGood.org and generationOn.org to make volunteer plans this weekend and whenever you have time to give.

Darian Smith
Chairperson, Community Service Group -National Federation  of The Blind.
(415)215-9809
dsmithnfb at gmail.com
between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

“
 "I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve”
 - Albert Schweitzer.

 Your  unwanted vehicle can be  just what the blind need to make possibilities reality.