[nabs-l] overdrive and public library access

Kaiti Shelton via nabs-l nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Wed May 21 02:25:17 UTC 2014

Hi Ashley,

I used Overdrive for a time, and only deleted it because I just rely
on Bookshare so much that I wasn't going to it on my phone.  However,
when I did use it, I found it to be pretty accessible.  It was working
fine with VoiceOver, and the layout was very user-friendly.

Second, I have not had much luck with scholarly databases.  My
university primarily likes students to use either Oxford University or
JStor, and JStor was particularly difficult for me.  I was collecting
articles, coincidentally for my music history class, and I needed the
help of someone in the disabilities office to download the articles I
wanted as PDFs and send them through Robo Braille so I could read them
and write my paper.  I was not very happy with those issues, and
actually put in a complaint to my university library and JStor.

I hope this answers your questions.  P.S, like I mentioned, I took 2
music history classes this past year.  We learned about a few
historical women composers, so if you want any names to look up, or
want to know a little about them to give you something to search by,
I'd be happy to help off-list.

Kaiti