[nabs-l] Spaghetti dinner fundraiser, thoughts?

Kaiti Shelton via nabs-l nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Tue May 27 01:17:56 UTC 2014

Hi NABSters,

I currently serve as the president of the Ohio Association of Blind
Students, and our fundraising committee is working on a project for
our affiliate convention to be held in November.  We would like to
host a buffet-style spaghetti dinner on the first night of the
convention, and charge a simple $5 admission fee and donations if
anyone is willing to give them.  We're still a fledgling group in
terms of funding, and we know a lot of the affiliate members would
probably gladly support us by eating student-made spaghetti and
meatballs, fresh salad, fruit, a dessert of some kind, and a drink of
lemonade, iced tea, etc.

So far we have the resources to be able to cook the spaghetti and keep
it warm using crock pots, likewise with the sauce.  Our members who
will be traveling from greater distances can easily bring store-bought
items such as bread and butter, sliced fruit which can be kept in a
cooler, and mixes for the lemonade and tea.  Logistically, it looks
like we could pull it off without much of a problem so long as we plan
accordingly and have it cleared with the hotel.  I am fairly confident
that our affiliate president would not have an issue with it, as he is
extremely supportive of the student division.

I am wondering if any of you have either helped to organize and carry
out, or have gone to another division-sponsored meal at conventions.
I am just trying to get a sense of whether or not this is as doable as
it seems to us, and if hotels have generally been responsive to the
requests for convention-goers to bring in their own food.  Also, if
you have put on or gone to a dinner of some sort, what were some
things you liked or disliked about the experience?  Knowing this
information will be very useful to my division and I as we plan ahead
for our fundraiser.  Any feedback would be great.
--
Kaiti