[nabs-l] guardianship question

Arielle Silverman via nabs-l nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Fri May 30 18:58:06 UTC 2014

Hi John,

Just to clarify: Are you saying that your parents are trying to take
financial guardianship over you?
It's hard to give advice without knowing more details about your
situation. The short answer is that if you are 18 years old or older
and do not have any mental illnesses or disabilities, they do not have
any legal reason to do this. If you do have a mental illness or
disability, it becomes tougher, but often you can still maintain
financial independence with the help of an advocate.
I am not sure if the bulk of your finances come from social security?
If so, then it would be good to talk with someone who is familiar with
social security law.

Lots of people, including many people without disabilities, have
problems managing and saving money. This means you could benefit from
some financial counseling. It does not mean that you are unable to
handle your own finances. The trick is keeping careful track of what
you regularly spend money on, how much you spend and then cutting your
spending so it doesn't exceed your income.

Best,
Arielle