[nabs-l] is there any place for schools for the blind?

Suzanne Germano sgermano at asu.edu
Mon Nov 3 01:50:36 UTC 2014

I had Arielle's experience. I went to public and Catholics schools but
every summer I went to a summer programs for visually impaired. It was
through our public schools. I had a very difficult time socially in public
school. I was teased daily most of my life. I am legally blind so i was
teased for being blind and teased for "pretending" to be blind. I was
miserable. Having the summer program to meet others who were legally blind
and totally blind filled that gap. I am still friends now at age 50 with
someone I met in first grade at the summer program. There were time I felt
i was such an outcast thta I wished I was going to a school for the blind.

I am in college now and I find the social situation to be much better.