[nabs-l] Requesting help on Statistics - Looking for an AccessibleTable of Standard Normal Probabilities

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 19:12:36 UTC 2014

OK-actually in Excel it is easy to look up the probability of a given
Z-score, which is what you would be looking up in the standard normal
table. Simply type into a blank cell:
=normsdist(z)
where Z is the Z-statistic. I think that is what you will usually be
asked to do.
If you need to go the other way (i.e. you have a probability and you
need to know what Z-score lies at that probability), use the following
Excel formula:
=normsinv(p)
where p is the probability you are given. For example, =normsinv(.05)
gives you the Z-score with a probability of .05.
If your calculations are like these you can just use the above Excel
formulas instead of looking things up in the table. If your assignment
is different or more complicated than this, feel free to write me
off-list.
Best,
Arielle