[nabs-l] Braillenote V. braille sense U2?

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 19:49:20 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I agree with Joe.  I had a BrailleNote classic and then an Empower
while in K-12 school (I never did tge an Apex since my school district
was cheap and never wanted to update anything unless they had to).  I
did use BrailleNote Apex machines that my friends had though, and I
wasn't that impressed.  Overall, I always felt like my Empower, though
more bulky, was a much more stable machine, and even then the keys
were much quieter.  I never had the issues of crashing and keys
popping off or getting stuck in the machine like my Apex friends did.

I made the decision to switch to a BrailleSense right before starting
college, and have never regretted it.  I've had my BrailleSense
On-Hand for over 2 years, and have yet to have a problem with it.  I
love that I was able to upgrade the firmware myself without paying or
having to send my machine away.  I love the customer support from
Hims, and have found them easier to work with than the Humanware
people (although I'll admit it's been a few years).

I do have to disagree with Joe on the portability.  I know the
BrailleSense Plus and the BrailleSense U2 standard are bulkier than
the Apex, but now with the mini there are no reasons why the
BrailleSense would be considered less portable than the BrailleNote
Apex.  The U2 Mini has all the features of the U2, but in a smaller
package.  It is the same size as my On-Hand, and I know Apex users who
have described it as tiny when they've seen it for the first time.

Hope this helps.

Kaiti