[nabs-l] signing up for rehab plus questiom about rehab

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 16 15:30:58 UTC 2014

Vejas,
I'd say sign up as soon as possible. AnotherAnothe r professional such as
your TVI should be able to refer you to the services. if you really have no
one to get you in touch and need the info, just google the department for
the blind in your state. After calling the main number, they will direct you
to a local office with counselors who staff your location. Then you get a
counselor; afterward, you meet, fill out papers for a case, and establish
goals.

No, no way do you give a letter at first. wait for your case to open and
establish rapport.
Wait till you almost graduate would be my suggestion. You might mention that
you need to attend a training center out of state in your initial meeting.
but don't be too pushy. Just state your goals.

Others may disagree, but I'd have a parent sit in the meeting or at least
read the paperwork to you afterward. I suggest this so they do not slip
anything into your case file you don't agree with; the document Is your
individual plan for employment, IPE.

You also need a copy of the documents you sign. Note that if you open the
case before you are 18, I think your parent has to sign the papers with you.

So, do it asap. I opened my case as a teenager.

Ashley