[nabs-l] mobility skills quesiton

Jedi Moerke loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon Sep 1 08:58:10 UTC 2014

The skills you use to walk along the Street with no sidewalk are essentially the same skills you use when  following the wall inside a building. You just need to be able to tell the difference between an intersecting street in the driveway. Driveways have a sort of seam where they meet the street you were walking along. You can usually identify it because the texture on each side is different. The street is rougher and the driveway is usually smoother. They also create a sort of Valley where they meet. That valley is created by the downward slope of the street side and the upward slope of the driveway. Streets don't have this effect. The texture will also be the same no matter if you move your cane to the left or right. But streets have a general curve that takes you from the parallel street to the perpendicular street. This curve is usually quite subtle. You want to stop walking the moment you feel the peeling away of the shoreline in front of you. That way, you should be in line to cross the street and to the next corner. In any case, make sure you are close enough to the edge of the street so that, if you needed to, you could jump to the side. I like to stay close enough that I can reach my inside foot to the grass or curb if need be.

Respectfully,
Jedi

Sent from my iPhone