[nabs-l] The Importance Of Independent Travel

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Mon Sep 1 16:45:59 UTC 2014

Hi, Kirt,

Brain damage really is a son of a bitch and it
used to drive me nuts, because, aside from
pushing yourself to put in an amount of self
motivation appropriate for your stage of
recovery, and applying some personal drive, until
your brain has rebuilt the necessary connections,
the sufferer reallly is out of control of his accomplishment.

Furthermore, even if some "progress" is made, it
remains impossible to quantify. In fact, it used
to bug the hell out of me not being able to see
that I was, in fact, making something resembling
progress since it was so slow, I couldn't see it, so egoistic was I!

  Upon Upon first coming home to my parent's
house from the hospital where I languished for 9
months (including a 3-month coma) , for example,
among my personal tasks for which I needed to
apply some determination was among other things,
cooperating when my Mom presided over teaching me
to crawl, then making it through the night
without wetting my diaper, then
later  cooporating in the little brain rehab
class in which my peers and I did little
exercises, among which was keeping a running log
book of daily happenings to practice recalling
how you spent your time and of course, not being
able to read braille, or type, necessitated my
daily experiences be dictated, something to which I would need to get used.
What I'm saying is that your progress, generally
speaking, is fixed by your wounded brain. All you
can do is push yourself, not accepting the status
quo as your normal. Aside from that, there ain't
a whole helova lot you can do in terms of accomplishment.

During the time I was at the CCB, there was a
student there, Andre, who also was brain damaged
and, at the time, I was a pretty out of control
18-year-old. I saw Andre as being a blind guy
with mysterious "other" problems. In fact, I got
hurt while still living in Colorado and my Mom
consulted with Andre for a crash course in brain
damage101. Yet, aside from that , and that of
course, all brain damage, like all shades of
blindness are in no way created equal, it has,
then, been touch and go, wait and see what happens.
So, I really dig this, Kirt, my brother in blastoma!
Car

things and expanding my skills. I'm actually
happier when I'm slightly uncomfortable, both in
the ways you and Steve are using the word. If
your optimal position on that spectrum is
different than mine who am I to judge, be little
or invalidate you and your experiences? I can't
do that without becoming a hypocrite
 So again
I'm slightly puzzlled as to why you seem to be
trying to apply your experiences and
circumstances to our own lives. Just because you
are happier and more at peace with yourself when
you "let it go"and don't compare yourself with
other people does not mean we are all the same as
you in that regard. I don't think my personality
makes me better or worse than yours, it just
makes me different
 but speaking from persoonal
experience, I am actually a happier and better
adjusted person when I compare myself, in
moderation, two people with abilities,
opportunities and life circumstances similar to
mine. As long as I don't go overboard with it it
helps me push myself harder to learn new things
and sharpen the knowledge I already have and,
given my personality, this is probably the single
greatest factor in improving my happiness and
personal well-being. Still, I would never even
think to try and tell you to live like I do
because, as far as I can tell, our personalities
are not the same at all in this regard. In some
situations you're easy-going acceptance of
yourself probably ends up being an advantage over
my Constant hunger to learn and become more

similarly, in other situations, my personality is
aalmost certainly better equipped than yours
would be. This being the case, I wonder why you
give such broad and generic advice to people who
you have probably never even met in person? Do
you want the world to be full of people who think
and act like you? Best, Kirt Sent from my
iPhone > On Sep 1, 2014, at 8:20 AM, Yadiel
Sotomayor via nabs-l <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
wrote: > > I don’t think comparing yourself
with your self is a bad thing. I do it all the
time. It removes all the barriers. Will a sighted
me go on the airport alone? Yes? Then why I
don’t give it a try. Will a sighted me learn
Python? Yes? Then why not give it a try. Will a
sighted me walk to the corner store in an area
without sidewalks? Yes? Then why not me. See
where I’m going with this? It is not a matter
of getting depressed, and trust me, I know about
depression. Being clinically depressed myself. It
is a matter of, if I weren’t blind, will I be
doing this? If the answer is yes, then why the
blind me can’t do it? I want to be the best
freaking person I can possibly can. That involves
me putting myself in very uncomfortable
situations. But I am glad for it. >> On Sep 1,
2014, at 10:06 AM, Carly Mihalakis via nabs-l
<nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote: >> >> Good morning,
Jedi, >> >>       After a sobering realization of
being rendered brain damaged, I realized
gradually, an  ebbing and flowing  of the manner
in which I learn new things. What's more, this
state, according to what I was hearing would be
permanent, irreversible. I had to slowly realize
I could no longer "measure" myself to people who
are "blessed" with a round of just blindness, on
the rocks. There is now more going on within my
particular bag of problems. I am
"multi-handicapped." >> >> As time went on and I
hooked up with a man who is studying special
education, he showed me how what others do, and
how they do it, is their thing alone. I need not
measure myself to anybody else. >> >> Also,
there's this Sociology professor at my junior
college, whom I really admire, she showed me how
most things aren't really real, they're mere
human construct. And, comp airing myself to what
I thought I saw others doing, is just an egoistic
(meaning about myself), construct. >> Today, I
have let that shit go. It's unhealthy, will make
you more depressed, will turn your self-concept
to certain ruin. Let it go! >> for today,
Car >> >> say similarly situated, I mean that
this hypothetical individual has all of the same
abilities and challenges that I do except that
this person can see. If this hypothetical person
wouldn't do it, then it's probably not safe. If
this hypothetical person would do it, then I
probably need to buck up and do it. Because there
are more seeing people then blind people, it's
usually pretty easy to come up with examples of
similarly situated sighted people who are doing
most all of the things I think I can't do. I also
think about the other blind people I know. If
they are out there doing it and they are pretty
similar to me in most ways, I think it's safe to
say that I should afford myself the same
opportunity. The trick is to make sure that
blindness, or any other so-called disability,
presents an opportunity for growth rather than an
excuse. >> >>> Respectfully, >>> Jedi >>> >>>
Sent from my iPhone >>> >>>> On Aug 31, 2014, at
2:31 PM, Steve Jacobson via nabs-l