[nabs-l] Marching Band

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 02:29:10 UTC 2014

Also, another trick I found useful is to show your section leader some
appreciation for what they're doing to help you.  It doesn't have to
be something extravagant, but maybe give them something to show you're
appreciative every once in a while.  Sometimes that sort of thing can
go a long way.  I gave my first section leader a cute little picture
frame with a bunch of pictures of our section in it, since she was a
senior, but other times I've put together little goodie bags as well.
These are great for when your band has bus rides to football games or
shows.  I typically put a Gatorade or Poweraid in there, some candy,
and a bag of chips with a thank you note.  It seems small, but it can
go a long way in making the section leader feel like the time they
work with you means something important to you.  I also usually baked
something at least once during every high school season and brought it
in for the section to share, so other people who helped me out on the
field would feel the same sort of thing.  I made the sweets I baked
open to everyone in the section, but when offering it to certain
people who help I'd just tell them thanks as they took their
brownie/cookie/whatever.  These are relatively small things you can do
to make people a little more willing to look out for your placement on
the field during the rehearsals, not get impatient if it takes you
longer to correct a wrong set, etc.

--
Kaiti